There are so many unique little ways to make some good side money these days. But –what side hustle could be more fun than designing and selling your own t-shirts online?! With no risk or investment?! Umm Yes Please….
Take a look all around you… you can’t help but notice that people are putting all sorts of statements on their T-shirts. At the same time, people crave uniqueness.
This is a nice window of opportunity for people who have some ideas and are competent in designing attractive and unique T-shirts.
Below you’ll find 15 companies that can help you make money by designing T-Shirts for profit online…
This page includes affiliate links. Please be aware that we only promote advertising from companies we feel we can legitimately recommend to our readers. Please see our disclosure policy for further information.
How Difficult Is It to Design Custom Tees… you ask?
Designing and selling custom tees is a great opportunity for designers who want to sell their work. And also for non-designers who have an idea that would be great on a t-shirt.
This side hustle isn’t limited to those with artistic talent only… Anyone can do it.
Many t-shirt selling platforms offer their own easy to use design tools. And others offer their own artwork that you can use. So, even someone with no design experience can create a pretty awesome t-shirt.
By virtue, these websites are willing to work with just about anybody from anywhere so as to land their hands on excellent T-shirt design ideas.
First things first – you need to find sites that make it easy for you to design and sell your customized T-shirts… with little to no investment. You’ll also need a company with high-quality prints, and a great policy on shipping and returns.
Well don’t you worry my friend, I’ve done the hard work for you. 🙂
It’s 100% free to design your t-shirt. Simply use the online designer to create your product by either uploading your design or using clip art from the site. You’ll have to set a sales goal or “tipping point”, which is the minimum you need to sell in order to have your shirts printed. Then share your campaign via email, your website, or your favorite social media networks. Your customers won’t be charged unless your campaign reaches the tipping point. Once your campaign ends, shirts are printed and sent out, and you’ll be sent a check for the profit. 🙂
Earnings vary depending on– the text and design you use to your choice of t-shirt. Just so you can get an idea of possible earnings with Tee Spring, you can start with a basic shirt that costs $5.75 and add a design and text for a total cost of $7.40 per shirt. You can choose your retail price but say you opt to sell your shirts for $12.00 each and have a goal of selling 50 shirts. That would give you a profit of $229. Of course, the more shirts you sell, the higher your profit.
You can sell in the Cafepress Marketplace for free or set up your own branded online shop to sell on your website for around $5-$10 a month, depending on the options you choose. You can add your own branding, create your own deals and organize your products however you want! It’s one of the most flexible, personalized and customizable platforms for selling t-shirts. You can make money selling t-shirts, and sell your designs on 250 plus products.
Here’s how it works:
- Open your Store: Create your own store and upload the designs you plan to sell.
- Set your Price: CafePress puts a base price on each product. This base price is the money that CafePress keeps from each item you sell. It covers the cost of producing and shipping the t-shirt. As the seller, you set the retail price of the item higher than the base price, and then keep the difference as your profit when the product sells.
- Get Commission: Earn a commission whenever one of your products sells. For example, if the base price of the t-shirt you sell is $13.99 and you charge $19.99, then you make a $6 profit.
CafePress provides pretty high-quality products compared to many of the other t-shirt selling sites out there. So, it’s no surprise that big brands and organizations, like E! Online and UNICEF use the site to sell merchandise.
Another really easy-to-use platform for selling t-shirts through is Zazzle. On the site, you can set up your own store. And you can upload and sell your artwork on t-shirts, as well as on other products, like coffee mugs and pillows. It’s free to start a store on Zazzle. And, you earn royalty rates that can be anywhere from 5% to 99%.
Don’t have killer design skills? Become a Zazzle Associate! Link and share your favorite shops and items made by others, and you can still earn a commission!
At Zazzle, t-shirts are priced a little higher right out of the gate, but you can still make a decent profit — plus there isn’t a minimum amount you have to sell.
At Threadless, you make art, and they’ll do the rest! You can open your completely customizable artist shop for free and sell anywhere in the world. You set your prices and earn a profit on anything over the base cost of the merchandise. T-shirts and tanks have a base cost of $15, so if you sell them for $25, you’re earning $10 bucks on every single shirt. That’s not too bad! There are no minimums, no shipping fees, and they handle inventory and customer care.
You can add your own logo, color theme and any other branding you want and you get:
- Unlimited products
- Customizable pricing
- Free hosting
- Free marketing resources
- Merchandising tools
- Layout editor
- Font editor
- Responsive design
- Site analytics
- Facebook pixel integration
- Mailchimp integration
- Mobile-optimized checkout
Once you have set up your online store, you can add as many products as you want. The site offers drag and drop product creation. So, adding your designs to the store is pretty easy.
Sunfrogshirts is similar to TeeSpring. You design your t-shirt and start a campaign to promote it. But, it prints and ships your tees even if you get only one sale. Comparing to TeeSpring and Zazzle –Sunfrogshirts is limited. They just have men, women t-shirts and hoodies.
You can make money with SunFrog by uploading your own designs, or you can earn money from other people’s designs as an affiliate.
This is one of my favorite site to create and sell designs online. You can reach more people with your designs with Spreadshirt because it’s not time sensitive. And better, Spreadshirt allows you to start an online store to sell t-shirts, caps, mugs, phone cases, leggings, hoodies, top tanks and more.
As a seller, you can set up your own custom online shop or sell through the site’s global marketplace. There are two ways that you can make money through Spreadshirt:
- Shop product markups: Like with most t-shirt sites, on Spreadshirt, you add a markup to the products that you sell in your shop. On the site, this is called your shop product mark-up and it’s on products you sell through your online store. You can set a shop product mark-up in addition to or instead of the design price.
- Design Price: Unlike with other similar sites, you can make money on Spreadshirt by uploading your own designs. If someone else on the platform uses one of your designs or if a product of yours sells, you’ll get paid up to $15.
Payments are made on the 15th of each month. You must have a minimum of $10 in your account to withdraw your earnings.
Through PrintMojo, you can sell high-quality, screen printed and embroidered products, including t-shirts.
Here’s how it works:
- Create and upload your design
- Choose the product you want to print it on – a t-shirt in this case.
- Pre-order the products from PrintMojo at wholesale price – you have to order a minimum of 25 units.
- The company prints or embroiders your t-shirts.
- PrintMojo warehouses your tees and creates an online store for you to resell them.
- You add a mark-up to the product. This is the retail price for the products.
- When a customer places an order, PrintMojo processes it and handles the shipping for you.
- PrintMojo sends payments each month. You not only get the profit from your mark-ups, but you also get back the money you paid for the products initially. At this time, PrintMojo also deducts its fulfillment fee – the site charges this per order, rather than per unit. So, the bigger your order the better price you’ll get.
Design By Humans created three different categories to make the competitions even keener. There are the shirt-of-the-day, shirt-of-the-week, and shirt-of-the-month awards.
Contestants will have to survive the regular voting by members of the Design By Humans in order to scoop as many winners as possible.
- Rewards: The reward system is fairly generous. Understandably, the prize winnings vary across categories. For example, winning entry of the shirt of the day category will entitle the designer $750 cash, for the shirt of the week the winner gets $1,000, and it is $1750 for the shirt of the month award. To make it even more interesting, designers can claim even more bonuses if the T-shirts that carry their designs turned out to be hot sellers. There are all sorts of benchmarks set on this. If T-shirts sale hits 1000, the designer will be rewarded with an extra $500. As the sales get to different and higher benchmark, the bonus gets progressively higher, until sale breaches the 10,000 ceiling, which entitles the design a cool $2,500 cash award.
Logo Sportswear is another platform that allows you to set up your own custom store and sell t-shirts online. This site differs to other t-shirt selling sites, as it mostly caters to sportswear, like football t-shirts and hockey jerseys. You can upload your own designs, or you can choose from one of the site’s 13,000 free design templates.
Logo Sportswear handles everything – it bills the customer, and produces and ships your product. For each t-shirt that you sell, you earn 15% commission.
The site is completely free to use too – there are no monthly or set-up fees needed to open and run your store.
Gear Bubble is a great platform for selling t-shirts. You can set up a campaign and use the site for free. But, you do need to sell your own designs – meaning you need to have some design skills or you’ll have to hire someone to create artwork for you.
Gear Bubble charges you a flat fee for each product that you sell. This fee is part of the base price that you see when you upload a design. The site does not take any other fees or a percentage of your profit margin. Gear Bubble handles all of the production and distribution of your t-shirts, as well as the customer support via phone and email.
In addition to t-shirts, you can also sell other items through Gear Bubble, like phone cases, mugs, sweatshirts, and hoodies. You can withdraw your earnings once your campaign ends. All you need to do is request a payout from account – you can do this in the “Get Paid” section of the site.
Keep in mind that it can take a few hours for your funds to show up in your profile after the campaign ends. It takes up to 14 business days for payment to be sent.
Teefury calls itself a one-a-day t-shirt website. It literally means that there is always one new T-shirt on show at the website every day.
The winning design is to be determined by the TeeFury team.
It has a fixed price tag for all T-shirts, i.e. at just nine dollars a pop. Your design will have a full 24-hour window to attract customers.
- Rewards: If they think that your design is good enough to get printed, they will push it up for sales within the next 24-hour day. TeeFury will recognize and pay you a royalty for your work. The payout is $1 for every t-shirt sold, which is very cool, I must say.
Skreened is a t-shirt selling platform with more than 100,000 artists. With the site, which is free to join, you open up your own online store.
You can set your own commission, but there is a $10 cap, and the site recommends setting prices at $4.
In 2014, the site introduced Marketplace Optimization Adjustment (MOA) for commissions set above $4 – this affects the amount you earn. So, the earnings potential not is quite as high on this site as it is on others.
With Skreened you can set both a store wide commission and an individual design commission.
Through Tostadora you can set up your own online store for free. In your store, you can sell t-shirts, as well as other products, featuring your own custom designs.
T-shirts you sell can feature designs, slogans, phrases, jokes, and images. Once you’ve uploaded your designs, the site handles the rest.
When a customer purchases one of your t-shirts, Tostadora is responsible for:
- Producing the product.
- Shipping the item to the customer.
- Handling any problems with deliveries.
- Taking care of returns and exchanges.
One of the best aspects of Tostadora is that, rather than having a set commission per unit, it allows you to set your own rates.
TeePublic is a good option even if you’re not an artist or designer per se. You can make money with this t-shirt company two ways. First, you can create your own designs and upload them to products for your store. This earns you a set price commission that varies depending on the product but ranges from $2.00-$8.00 on shirts, tanks, and hoodies.
Second, you can become a partner and have a merch store. This is a neat option because you can feature shirts with designs from other artists. You get to choose what you like and what to carry in your store. You earn a generous 31% commission on sales of your own merchandise and 11% on existing TeePublic designs. So even if you’re not a designer, you can make money online selling t-shirts!
With Teemill you can build your own online shop, add your designs and when a product sells, they print and ship orders the same day, direct to customer, with your branding.
To make money on Teemill you don’t need to meet any minimum order quantities or targets to receive a payment. If you make a successful sale, you get paid. How much you get paid depends on a number of factors like the product, the colourway and the RRP the product is sold at, or the currency exchange rate if you’re in another territory. It approximates to 50% of the profit left over after printing, shipping, labour etc.
Hopefully, these companies that can help you make money by designing t-shirts online. Do you know of any other good t-shirt designing resources? Let us know in the comments.
You’ll Also Love These Posts:
If you like this blog post — you will also love the following articles.
- How I Earn $200 Cash per Month Testing Websites and Apps from Home
- Get Paid to Chat, Flirt and Text Online
- Make Money Selling Your Photos Online
I’m taking part in the Money Making Madness Linky hosted by Charlotte Burns from Lotty Earns, Emma Bradley from Mum’s Savvy Savings, Emma Drew from EmmaDrew.Info and Lynn from Mrs Mummy Penny.